As I’ve become someone who doesn’t use makeup on a daily basis, I’ve developed a quick routine for days when I suddenly have plans after work and want to look a bit nicer. Recently, I started toying with the idea of actually timing myself, and last week, I decided to put myself up to the challenge when my boyfriend and I planned a last minute date night. I actually managed to do this under 5 minutes! (I had two seconds to spare….)
- Base: My skin’s been treating me well, so I try to avoid foundation when I can. As a foundation substitute, I use a few swipes of Milk Makeup’s Blur Stick (1 oz, $36) across my t-zone and blend it out with my fingers. It really does what it says – it gives my skin a blurred effect wherever I apply it and makes my pores less visible.
- Concealer: I follow that with a few dabs of Sephora Collection Bright Future Gel Serum Concealer (0.14 fl oz, $14) in Madeleine under each eye, and blend that out with a beauty blender.
- Set base: I dust bareMinerals Mineral Veil (3 oz, $22) in Mineral Veil, a loose powder in a sheer, lightweight formulation, over my t-zone and under-eye area to set my base and concealer.
- Face color: Since I’m in a rush, I usually stick to one of blush and bronzer, and add highlighter if I have time. When I timed myself, I went for Milk Makeup’s Lip + Cheek (1 oz, $24) in Perk, a cream blush in a coral shade that leaves me with a natural flush after I blend it out with my fingers.
- Eyeliner: If I’m feeling like the winged-liner gods are happy that day, I’ll go for a winged liner, using either Kat Von D’s Tattoo Liner (0.19 oz, $20) in Trooper or NYX’s Epic Ink Liner (0.02 fl oz, $7.99). I’ve only just started using both of these, and they’re both amazing. Look out for a liquid liner review/comparison soon 🙂
- Lashes: Curl lashes, lash primer, mascara. I currently use the Trish McEvoy Lash Curler ($25), but plan on switching it out soon. Lancome’s CILS BOOSTER XL Super-Enhancing Mascara Base (0.19 oz, $25.50) is my one and only primer, and I’m currently using Marc Jacob’s O!Mega Lash Volumizing Mascara (0.25 oz, $26), which is just okay to me.
- Lips: For a 5 minute makeup routine, I go with something easy – IPKN’s Twinkle Lips (0.16 oz, $18) in Glow Pink. It changes shades of pink according to the natural chemistry of your lips, and goes on more like a lip balm than a lip stick. You don’t even need a mirror to apply it 🙂
I was surprised by how much I could accomplish in five minutes! What was even more shocking was that I could do even more or have even more time to spare had my makeup been more organized… I probably spent a good thirty seconds or more in those five minutes just digging around for things. Regardless, this was a fun little exercise, and I may want to try a ten minute routine in the future.
Do any of you have your own 5 minute makeup routines? Please share with me in the comments below!